When submitting payment, Customers see the error message:
PayPal gateway has rejected request. Payment has already been made for this InvoiceID (#10412: Duplicate invoice)
The issue occurs when invoices with the same IDs are sent to PayPal several times.
To resolve the problem, allow multiple payments per invoice ID in PayPal's Payment Receiving Preferences. After that, PayPal accepts payments with no error messages — even for invoices with duplicate IDs.
- Magento Commerce: any version
- Magento Commerce (Cloud): any version
- Magento Open Source: any version
When submitting payment, customers see the error message:
... main.CRITICAL: Exception message: PayPal gateway has rejected request. Payment has already been made for this InvoiceID (#10412: Duplicate invoice).
Thus, PayPal cannot process the payment and complete the order.
The error message is displayed when invoices with the same ID are submitted to PayPal multiple times.
This may happen when using the same credentials across several Magento sites (even across the Local and the Staging environments). Particular scenarios might be the following:
- multiple stores submit invoices to PayPal and use the same invoice IDs
- a new store sends an invoice with an ID that has been previously submitted by an old store
By default, PayPal does not allow to process the same invoice twice.
Change your PayPal profile to allow for multiple payments per invoice ID.
- Log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com.
- Click Profile > Profile and settings (upper-right corner).
- Go to My selling tools.
- Navigate to Getting paid and managing my risk > Block payments and click Update.
- Selling Preferences, click Payment Receiving Preferences.
- Under Block Accidental Payments, choose No, allow multiple payments per invoice ID.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Save.
1. Block accidental payments on PayPal Developer Docs.
2. PayPal payments on Magento User Guide:
3. Magento DevDocs: