This article suggests a solution for the timeout issue you might have, when performing operations with large categories (1k+ plus products).
Affected products and versions:
- Magento Commerce Cloud 2.3.3
- Magento Commerce 2.3.3
- Magento Open Source 2.3.3
Prerequisites: The Stores > Configuration > CATALOG > Catalog > Use Categories Path for Product URLs option is set to Yes for your store view.
Steps to reproduce
- In Magento Admin, go to Catalog > Categories.
- Open a large category, like more than 1000 assigned products.
- Add a product to the category.
- Click Save Category.
Category is saved successfully.
After 5 minutes of saving process, the 504 gateway timeout error page appears.
The process takes longer than the server's configured timeout.
Disabling the Generate "category/product" URL Rewrites option will remove all category/product URL rewrites from the database, and significantly decrease the time required for the operations with big categories.
Turning this option off will result in permanent removal of category/product URL rewrites without an ability to restore them.
To disable the Generate "category/product" URL Rewrites option:
- In the Magento Admin, navigate to Stores > Configuration > CATALOG > Catalog.
- In the top left corner of the configuration page, in the Scope field, set your configuration scope to Default Config.
- Set Generate "category/product" URL Rewrites to No.
- Click Save Config.
- Clean cache by running
bin/magento cache:cleanor in Magento Admin under System > Tools > Cache Management.
Now you can proceed to adding products to categories, or moving categories with a large number of products, and these operations will take much less time and should not cause timeout.