It is best practice to minimize the number of product Stocking Keeping Units (SKUs) to avoid performance degradation. The recommended effective product max is 10M.
Effective Number of SKU is calculated as the following:
Effective SKU = N[SKUs] * Stores/Websites * Customer Groups
High Effective SKU slows down product data retrieval and increases admin operations time.
Affected products and versions
You can reduce the number of products (SKUs) by:
- Minimization of multipliers. Removing stores or websites reduces the multiplier. If you have 50k SKUs, 10 Websites and 10 Customer Groups the Effective Number of SKUs = 5M. Removing 5 Customer Groups reduce Effective SKUs to 2.5M.
- Restructuring of catalog. This involves reducing the number of products assigned to categories.
- Leveraging of alternative product features for custom pricing (replacement of shared catalog and customer groups multipliers).
- Restructuring of catalog for minimization of stores numbers. To decrease the number of effective SKUs, you can decrease the number of stores/websites, and customer groups or number of products.
- De-activation and/or removal of non-used parts of the system (removal of modules). For steps, refer to Magento DevDocs Uninstall modules .
- Providing more product variations through custom options rather than through unique products.
- Managing products in external Platform Management System (PMS).