This article provides best practices for number of categories limit. The maximum recommended number of categories is 300.
Affected products and versions
The potential site impact of exceeding the limit is:
- Tangible increase in response time on non-cached catalog pages
- Long execution/timeouts during managing categories in the Admin Panel
- Increase in size of corresponding DB tables
- Growth of indexation time [category/product relation index]
- Heavier operations on categories tree building, menu retrieval, and category rules management operations.
Recommendations to reduce the number of categories are:
- Managing unique product features through attributes and custom options
- Removing inactive categories
- Optimizing catalog depth