Best practice for number of products in cart in Adobe Commerce
This article provides best practices for the number of products in a cart in Adobe Commerce. The maximum recommended number of products is 100.
The potential site impact of exceeding the limit is:
- An increase in data retrieval operations, validation of cart items, checks for price rules applications, tax calculations, and totals calculations.
- An increase in the time for mini-cart rendering including cart rendering time, checkout flow rendering, and execution, leading to performance degradation.
- Increase in the page loading time for all site pages where the mini-cart is present, leading to performance degradation.
Adobe Commerce Best Practices for cart limits are:
- Up to 100 products in a cart
- the product works, meeting performance targets for response time.
- Up to 300 products in a cart
- the product works, but response time increases above targets.
- Above 500 products in a cart
- the cart and checkout flows are not guaranteed to work.
Affected products and versions
Adobe Commerce (all deployment methods) all supported versions
- Split orders into several smaller orders with a smaller number of rows by leveraging the Add Item by SKU feature.
- Only add the custom logic and cart customization you need to load a list of items.
If assistance is required or if there are questions or concerns, submit an Adobe Commerce Support ticket.
Configuring Product Options in our user guide.
Shopping Assistance > Managing a Shopping Cart in our user guide.