Best practice Adobe Commerce product variations
This article provides best practices for product variations. Our recommendation is to have not more than 50 variations per product, as performance can be affected.
Potential site impacts can include:
- Long request time and rendering times on product details and category pages containing complex products
- Admin product save operations response time increases above optimal performance targets
- Increase in Product Edit form rendering time
- Slow checkout.
Affected products and versions
Reduce the number of complex products variations by:
- Restructuring catalog through the distribution of variations between different products.
- Removal of configurable attribute options that are not in stock.
- Managing variations through alternative features like custom options, categories, related/grouped/bundle products.
Refer to the following articles in our user guide: