This article provides best practices for product variations. Our recommendation is to have not more than 50 variations per product, as performance can be affected.
Potential site impacts can include:
- Long request time and rendering times on product details and category pages containing complex products
- Admin product save operations response time increases above optimal performance targets
- Increase in Product Edit form rendering time
- Slow checkout.
Affected products and versions
- Adobe Commerce on-premises, all supported versions
- Adobe Commerce on cloud infrastructure, all supported versions
Reduce the number of complex products variations by:
- Restructuring catalog through the distribution of variations between different products.
- Removal of configurable attribute options that are not in stock.
- Managing variations through alternative features like custom options, categories, related/grouped/bundle products.
Refer to the following articles in our user guide: