Adobe Commerce 2.3.6, 2.4.1 CAPTCHA in checkout not working
This article provides a patch for the issue where the CAPTCHA feature for checkout does not work as expected on the Place Order page when using third-party payment providers like Paypal Express, Payflow Pro, or CyberSource in Adobe Commerce.
This known issue is mentioned in our developer documentation:
For Adobe Commerce 2.3.6:
For Adobe Commerce 2.4.1:
Affected products and versions
- Adobe Commerce (all deployment methods) 2.3.6 and 2.4.1
- Magento Open Source 2.3.6 and 2.4.1
Steps to reproduce
- Setup at least one of these payment methods in Commerce: Paypal Express, Payflow Pro, or CyberSource.
- Go to Admin > Stores > Configuration > Customers > Customer Configuration > CAPTCHA .
- Set Enable CAPTCHA on the Storefront = Yes .
- Select in Forms : Checkout/Placing Order , Login , and Forgot password .
- Set Displaying Mode = After number of attempts to login (to make the Number of Unsuccessful Attempts to Login setting appear).
- Set Number of Unsuccessful Attempts to Login = 0 (to make captcha work all the time).
- On the frontend, add a product to the cart and try to checkout.
- On Payment information page, enter captcha and try to checkout with Paypal Express, Payflow Pro, or CyberSource.
The CAPTCHA feature functions as expected.
The error message displays: Please provide CAPTCHA code and try again.
Apply one of the patches below depending on whether you are on Adobe Commerce on-premises/Adobe Commerce on cloud infrastructure/Magento Open Source 2.3.6 or 2.4.1.
The patches are attached to this article, available for download in both
To download a patch, scroll down to the end of the article and click the file name, or click one of the following links:
For Adobe Commerce on-premises/Adobe Commerce on cloud infrastructure/Magento Open Source 2.3.6 :
For Adobe Commerce on-premises/Adobe Commerce on cloud infrastructure/Magento Open Source 2.4.1 :
These patches are not compatible with any other Adobe Commerce or Magento Open Source versions and editions.
How to apply the patch
See How to apply a composer patch provided by Adobe in our support knowledge base for composer patch instructions.
See developer documentation Applying patches: Custom patches for git patch instructions for Adobe Commerce/Magento Open Source.