This article provides a patch for the issue where the CAPTCHA feature for checkout does not work as expected on the Place Order page when using third-party payment providers like Paypal Express, Payflow Pro, or CyberSource in Magento.
This known issue is mentioned in DevDocs:
For Magento 2.3.6 :
- Magento Commerce 2.3.6 Release Notes: Known Issues
- Magento Open Source 2.3.6 Release Notes: Known Issues
For Magento 2.4.1 :
- Magento Commerce 2.4.1 Release Notes: Known Issues
- Magento Open Source 2.4.1 Release Notes: Known Issues
Affected products and versions
Magento Commerce and Magento Open Source 2.3.6 and 2.4.1
Steps to reproduce
- Setup at least one of these payment methods in Magento: Paypal Express, Payflow Pro, or CyberSource.
Go to Admin > Stores > Configuration > Customers > Customer Configuration > CAPTCHA .
Set Enable CAPTCHA on the Storefront = Yes .
- Select in Forms : Checkout/Placing Order , Login , and Forgot password .
- Set Displaying Mode = After number of attempts to login (to make the Number of Unsuccessful Attempts to Login setting appear).
Set Number of Unsuccessful Attempts to Login = 0 (to make captcha work all the time).
On the frontend, add a product to the cart and try to checkout.
On Payment information page, enter captcha and try to checkout with Paypal Express, Payflow Pro, or CyberSource.
The CAPTCHA feature functions as expected.
The error message displays: Please provide CAPTCHA code and try again.
Apply one of the patches below depending on whether you are on Magento Commerce/Magento Commerce Cloud/Magento Open Source 2.3.6 or 2.4.1.
The patches are attached to this article, available for download in both
To download a patch, scroll down to the end of the article and click the file name, or click one of the following links:
For Magento Commerce/Magento Commerce Cloud/Magento Open Source 2.3.6 :
- Composer patch MDVA-33093____2_3_x-p1__CAPTCHA_COMPOSER.patch
- Git patch MDVA-33093____2_3_x-p1__CAPTCHA_GIT.patch
For Magento Commerce/Magento Commerce Cloud/Magento Open Source 2.4.1 :
- Composer patch MDVA-33093____2_4_x-p1__CAPTCHA_COMPOSER.patch
- Git patch MDVA-33093____2_4_x-p1__CAPTCHA_GIT.patch
These patches are not compatible with any other Magento versions and editions.
How to apply the patch
See How to apply a composer patch provided by Magento for composer patch instructions.
- See DevDocs Applying patches: Custom patches for git patch instructions for Magento Commerce/Magento Open Source.