This article provides a patch for the issue where the CAPTCHA feature for checkout does not work as expected on the Place Order page when using third-party payment providers like Paypal Express, Payflow Pro, or CyberSource in Magento.
This known issue is mentioned in DevDocs:
For Magento 2.3.6:
- Magento Commerce 2.3.6 Release Notes: Known Issues
- Magento Open Source 2.3.6 Release Notes: Known Issues
For Magento 2.4.1:
- Magento Commerce 2.4.1 Release Notes: Known Issues
- Magento Open Source 2.4.1 Release Notes: Known Issues
Affected products and versions
Magento Commerce and Magento Open Source 2.3.6 and 2.4.1
Steps to reproduce
- Setup at least one of these payment methods in Magento: Paypal Express, Payflow Pro, or CyberSource.
- Go to Admin > Stores > Configuration > Customers > Customer Configuration > CAPTCHA.
- Set Enable CAPTCHA on the Storefront = Yes.
- Select in Forms: Checkout/Placing Order, Login, and Forgot password.
- Set Displaying Mode = After number of attempts to login (to make the Number of Unsuccessful Attempts to Login setting appear).
- Set Number of Unsuccessful Attempts to Login = 0 (to make captcha work all the time).
The CAPTCHA feature functions as expected.
The error message displays: Please provide CAPTCHA code and try again.
Apply one of the patches below depending on whether you are on Magento Commerce/Magento Commerce Cloud/Magento Open Source 2.3.6 or 2.4.1.
The patches are attached to this article, available for download in both
To download a patch, scroll down to the end of the article and click the file name, or click one of the following links:
For Magento Commerce/Magento Commerce Cloud/Magento Open Source 2.3.6:
- Composer patch MC-38033___2_3_x-p1__CAPTCHA_COMPOSER.patch
- Git patch MC-38033___2_3_x-p1__CAPTCHA_GIT.patch
For Magento Commerce/Magento Commerce Cloud/Magento Open Source 2.4.1:
- Composer patch MC-38072___2_4_x-p1__CAPTCHA_COMPOSER.patch
- Git patch MC-38072___2_4_x-p1__CAPTCHA_GIT.patch
These patches are not compatible with any other Magento versions and editions.
How to apply the patch
See How to apply a composer patch provided by Magento for composer patch instructions.
- See DevDocs Applying patches: Custom patches for git patch instructions for Magento Commerce/Magento Open Source.