The MDVA-28511 Magento patch solves the issue when payments through Payflow Pro don't complete for customer names with accented letters.
This patch is available when the Quality Patches Tool (QPT) 1.0.14 is installed. Please note that the issue was fixed in Magento version 2.3.6.
Affected products and versions
The patch is created for Magento version: Magento Commerce Cloud 2.3.5-p1
Compatible with Magento versions: Magento Commerce Cloud and Magento Commerce 2.3.5 - 2.3.5-p2
Note: the patch might become applicable to other versions with new QPT tool releases. To check if the patch is compatible with your Magento version, run
./vendor/bin/magento-patches status .
Enable Payflow Pro credit card payment method.
Steps to reproduce :
- Add a product to the cart and continue to the checkout page.
- Set a customer name with accented letters. (Example: Ãtienne Ãillin )
- Continue to the payment steps.
- Select Payflow Pro as Credit Card and fill in the credit card details.
- Click the Place Order button.
Expected results :
The order completes without any issue, as expected.
Actual results :
The order does not complete and logs will show a similar error as this example:
[2020-06-12 07:50:23] report.CRITICAL: String to be escaped was not valid UTF-8 or could not be converted: �?tienne �?illini  
Apply the patch
To apply individual patches use the following links depending on your Magento product:
- Magento Commerce: DevDocs Software Update Guide > Apply Patches .
- Magento Commerce Cloud: DevDocs Upgrades and Patches > Apply Patches .
To learn more about Quality Patches Tool, refer to:
- Quality Patches Tool released: a new tool to self-serve quality patches .
- Check patch for Magento issue with Quality Patches Tool .
For info about other patches available in QPT tool, refer to the Patches available in QPT tool section.