The MDVA-34189 Magento patch solves the issue where Magento executes large Visual Merchandiser queries when loading the Admin category page.
This patch is available when the Magento Quality Patch (MQP) tool 1.0.18 is installed. The patch ID is MDVA-34189. Please note that the issue is scheduled to be fixed in Magento version 2.4.3.
Affected products and versions
The patch is created for Magento version:
Magento Commerce Cloud 2.3.5-p2
Compatible with Magento versions:
Magento Commerce and Magneto Commerce Cloud 2.3.4-2.4.2
Note: the patch can be applicable to other versions. To check if the patch is compatible with your Magento version, run
Website runs large MySQL queries on the Production server.
Steps to reproduce:
- To access the Visual Merchandiser go to the Admin sidebar, click Catalog > Categories.
- Load the Categories page in the Admin panel (the initial root category load) and observe the queries that it executes.
This depends on your PHP configuration. The most common example of this error is that the Categories page does not open and an error Error 503 first byte timeout displays.
Alternately when Magento loads the Visual Merchandiser it executes a slow MySQL query. This query includes many product IDs inserted in to
ORDER BY FIELD(`e`.`entity_id`,
The Admin Categories page should load without generating slow queries.
Apply the patch
For instructions on how to apply an MQP patch, use the following links depending on your Magento product:
- Magento Commerce: DevDocs Apply patches using Magento Quality Patches Tool.
- Magento Commerce Cloud: DevDocs Upgrades and Patches > Apply patches.
To learn more about Magento Quality Patches, refer to:
- Magento Quality Patches released: a new tool to self-serve quality patches.
- Check if patch is available for your Magento issue using Magento Quality Patches.
For info about other patches available in MQP tool, refer to the Patches available in MQP tool section.